Off The Saddle
The 7th annual Pedal the Plains Bicycle Tour has once again been welcomed with open arms by this year’s three host communities:
Kiowa, Bennett, and Limon
Participants, their friends, and families will experience a traveling party, packed with boot-stomp’n live music, beer gardens, delicious locally-sourced food, interactive educational exhibits and exceptional hospitality. Swap your Lycra for Levis and bike cleats for boots, because when the wheels stop rolling, the party gets going out on the Eastern Plains. Each Pedal The Plains host city has gone to great lengths to showcase their unique town. Check out some of the sites you’ll want to see and entertainment you’re sure to enjoy!
Kiowa Start & Finish
The 3-Day ride will begin in Kiowa, a quiet little town only about an hour from both Denver and Colorado Springs. Kiowa is the county seat of Elbert County, which claims the title of second-fastest growing county in the state and the fifth fastest-growing in the nation. The quintessential Elbert County Fairgrounds will serve as both the start and finish of this year’s 3-day tour. Local organizations will provide food and drinks to energize riders for the miles of wide open road ahead on Friday and after it is all said and done on Sunday.
The restaurants and eateries in Kiowa offer a relaxed environment and very reasonable prices. Reservations are not required. Eating establishments include, but are not limited to:
- Patty Ann’s Cafe
- Bino’s Pizza
- Western Trails Steakhouse
Kiowa will officially kick things off on Friday, September 14 with the National Anthem and the official “the Route is Now Open” ribbon cutting with Governor John Hickenlooper, Elbert County dignitaries as well as Eggbert from Colorado Egg Producers and the Delta Dental’s Tooth Fairy. Cyclists will be sent on their way beginning at 9:30 a.m., in waves of approximately 200 every 20 minutes. Complete lineup of events will include:
- 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Registration at the Elbert County Fairgrounds Horse Pavilion
- 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Light breakfast and snacks from Lion’s Club, Town of Kiowa, and Dunkin’ Donuts
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Opening Ceremonies
- 9:30 a.m. Start Waves begin
Riders can look forward to returning to Kiowa on Sunday at the finish line. Participants will know they’re close to the end with the smell of BBQ from one of the town’s local providers and other fare from local food trucks, along with friendly faces cheering them on. This finish line won’t disappoint, with live entertainment from the Steel Horse Swing Band, a local farmer’s market complete with local alpaca fiber artists (and their alpacas!), fun prize give-a-ways, and a showing of the Denver Broncos game against the Oakland Raiders. Participants will celebrate the conclusion of their journey with new and old friends and the excellent hospitality of Kiowa, Colorado.
- 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Farmer’s Market and Fiber Arts with Alpacas!
- 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Beer Garden Open
- 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Community Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Music by Steel Horse Swing
- 2:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Denver Broncos vs. Oakland Raiders game
- 3:30 p.m. Closing Ceremonies, PTP Grant Presentation, Passport Program Prize Drawings
Get acquainted with the Plains and have some fun in Bennett, a town less than a half-hour from the heart of busy Denver but where it feels a world away! Bennett’s motto is “Welcome Neighbors.” Their brand new town hall and wonderful recreation center will serve as PTP headquarters, and entertainment on Friday night will be at their delightful Trupp Park, just a short 2-minute shuttle ride away. Bennett’s penchant for fun will be on display with a smorgasbord of activities including Rocky Mountain Goat Yoga. Goat yoga will start at 2pm at Headuarters and continue for up to 3 sessions.
- 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Bennett Farmer’s Market at HQ
- 2:00 p.m. Shuttles to/from Entertainment begin
- 2:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Beer Garden Open
- 2:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Horseshoes and Cornhole
- 2:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Buttercream Airstream Dessert Truck
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Music by Many Mountains
- 4:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. PTP Announcements
- 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Music by String Winders
- 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Buffet Dinner Benefitting Job’s Daughters
- 6:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. PTP Check Presentations and Announcements
- 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Music by Tribe
- 9:15 p.m. Last shuttle from Entertainment to HQ
The afternoon and evening in Limon is all about FUN, and Railroad Park and the Heritage Museum will be the places to be for those who finish any of the three rides! As your second overnight stop, Limon promises to deliver great entertainment, friendly hospitality, and everything to encourage you to visit the “Hub City” of eastern Colorado again. Take a shuttle or a Belgian horse-drawn wagon from HQ to Railroad Park, which will be hoppin’ with a little something for everyone and plenty of cold Anheuser-Busch beverages! And be sure to check out the Heritage Museum for some super-interesting information and artifacts about the railroad and Limon’s history! The community will also be hosting shuttles from the Heritage Museum to the World’s Wonder View Tower in Genoa, where it is said that on a clear day you can see up to six states at the same time. After a fantastic dinner at the park, it’s time to kick up our heels under the star-filled Eastern Plains skies to enjoy the rollicking live music of Limon’s headline band—Stray Grass Bluegrass Band! And don’t forget to stop by the Railroad Depot for some delicious, locally-made pie! Yummm!!!!
- 12:00 p.m. Shuttles to/from Town and Entertainment begin
- 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Shuttles from Heritage Museum to Genoa Wonder View Tower
- 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Heritage Museum & Railroad Depot Open
- 2:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Horseshoes & Corn Hole at Railroad Park
- 2:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. Beer Garden Open at Railroad Park
- 3:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Belgian Horses Wagon Rides to/from Entertainment
- 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Community Dinner at Railroad Park
- 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Music by Stray Grass at Railroad Park
- 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Pie for sale from the Dining Car at the Railroad Depot
- 6:00 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. PTP Announcements and Check Presentations at Railroad Park
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. More Music by Stray Grass at Railroad Park
- 10:00 p.m. Last shuttle from Town and Entertainment to HQ
Stay tuned to the Pedal The Plains’ social media feed for the latest details!